Sunday, May 9, 2010

Faces and Places # 5 - Meet Tigre!!!!


This is Tirgre my new little kitty. I have a really cute video of her playing in a box and will post is next time I have the cable to my camera so I can transfer it. Tigre was brought to me by my host nephew who found her in the street. Apparently she had been dumped there since she was a female (nobody wants kittens and nobody spays their animals). So, he brought her to me and I couldn't resist her, she's just too cute and she was soooooo young. She was taken away from her mother much too early. Anyway, I've had her now for a month or so and she has become a really great cat. When I walk through the gate towards my house she runs to meet me and now she follows me everywhere I go around the house and yard. I'm planning on taking her with me when I leave so don't worry and also, she has an appointment to be spayed in June when she will be old enough. Which, brings me to my next and newest project, I'm currently organizing a spay and neuter your pets project for La Palma. There is a vet in Jimenez who is willing to come to La Palma for the day, sadly, it's pretty expensive to spay or neuter your pet here. I was really lucky last week to come across a donor and we are going to be able to have the clinic at a very low cost. I've been telling everyone I meet in my community that it will only cost 2.000 colones (4 dollars) per animal and everyone gets excited and asks to be signed up. Depending on how the clinic goes, I'm hoping to be able to hold a clinic every 2 or 3 months so that the puppies and kittens that are too young right now can be taken care of before they become pregnant. Hopefully this will help to reduce our street dog population and the lower the number of kittens thrown away. Depending on how the clinic, you should consider being a donor for the next (hint, hint), I'll keep you all posted.

4 comments:

SchuckFamily said...

That is so wonderful Laura! Maybe you can set up some kind of fundraising page so that friends who visit your blog can donate? Craig has a page for his PGA fundraiser, there is a box on my blog if you want to check it out. Not sure but maybe they have something for individuals.

38,000 pets were euthanized in Colorado last year so anything we can do, anywhere, is a great thing.

Laura said...

Great idea Jenn!!! I'll see what I can do through Peace Corps, etc. It's something so small and easy to do and it makes such a huge difference.

Raquel said...

Sauce, I would love to donate some money for this project of yours. We have an organization here in Culebra that helps pay for the cost of stray animals and it makes a HUGGEEEE difference. I would love to help you get started on this effort of yours by sending a donation to help out. So, next time I talk to you, I will figure out where to send you some money to help with the costs. Miss you so much, it isn't even funny! --Raquel

Laura said...

Thanks Sauce!!!!