Sunday, May 30, 2010

Project updates....

Well, the spay and neuter your pet clinic has yet to happen, but it's already been super successful. I have 17 animals signed up with appointments and room for up to 8 walk in's. I'm really excited to see how it all works out. Already there are more people signed up than I thought we would see. Thanks to the donor I think there is the potential for another clinic, I just need another donor... Anyway, if I can somehow find support the idea will be to have the clinics every 2 or 3 months to catch all the new puppies and kittens that were too young this time and to make it possible for all those that there was no room for this time. It has potential.

Guias y Scouts are coming along really well. We had our final training for the board of directors last week and now we are preparing for our final training for the leaders. I'm hoping that within the next 2 months we'll be ready for some kids. I was thinking of trying to find a grant to pay for all of the uniforms for both the kids and adults. Each uniform is about 4,000 colones, which is around 8 dollars, that may sound like very little to you, but the reality is that here at the end of the month most families have 0 left over. It's a pay check to pay check life for most so throwing 8 dollars which here is more like 30 is a pretty big burden. I'm hoping to make is possible for all of the kids to have the uniform (they can join with or without it).

Computers....I'm not hopeful.

English classes are going really well. Last night we listened and translated a song (which is always a hit). They loved it and hopefully they learned some new vocab. My students are lots of fun and though we don't always stick to the book, they are learning a lot. The hard part is getting them to talk. I honestly don't know how to teach that. I learned how to speak Spanish in Spain because I had to. I lived with a family and if I wanted something, anything, I had to speak Spanish. They all want to learn how to speak, but it's hard because I learned, but only by living in a Spanish speaking country. I think it is possible, just really difficult. Hopefully we get there.

No comments: