Monday, October 18, 2010

Scouts update!

We have been meeting with the kids for about 3 or 4 weeks now and things have been going really well. 2 weekends ago we made tamales (their different from what we see in the states) and went around with the kids to sell them for a fundraiser. It went really well and we were able to raise enough money to buy uniforms. When I say buy uniforms know that it's also different from what you are thinking. In CR it's still really common for people to have their cloths made for them by a taylor. It's usually cheaper and then you get a custom fit. My host mom makes most of the uniforms for the schools and will probably make most of the uniforms for the Scouts. So, our plan is to buy a bunch of cloth and then people can either make the uniforms for their kids of have them made by someone. Also, we are thinking of taking the kids on their first ever camping trip in a couple of months. I'm going to see if I can get some grant money to finance us buying some tents, sleeping bags, etc. so that we can take the trip and have them for the future. We live at the entrance of one of the most famous parks in CR, but the majority of people in La Palma have never been to the park, hopefully we can change that for the scouts.

In other news, my english is horrible! Every time I re-read a blog post or my facebook status update I notice that I'm making all the mistakes that my students are making. I think it's getting worse and worse. I'm not really sure how to stop this free fall. I'm always reading and I watch some tv and movies in english, but it's no use! So, if you read this and think, wow, she is really bad at English, know that I was better before!

No comments: