Friday, October 22, 2010

Spay and Neuter Your Pets Update

On Wednesday the 20th we had our 6th clinic. We have now spayed or neutered 81 animals! I can't believe that this project has and continues to do so well. This clinic was a little bit different for me, usually the vet brings with him a volunteer assistant who helps him with the operations, they do things like clean the blood away while he's performing the operation or they hold up an instrument that needs to be held so the vet can see better or whatever. I normally stay outside with the pet owners and charge, greet, look after the animal that just got done, etc. On Wednesday there was no assistant so I got to be the assistant. That was the first time I've ever done anything like that before. I have seen the surgeries, I've gone in while they were going on, I knew the process, but this was different. I had no idea that it was such hard work. By then end of the day I was exhausted, but I really liked it. For the next clinic we are talking about only doing street dogs. I'm not exactly sure how we are going to be able to do it, but we'll figure out a way. I know of at least 2 female dogs in the town center that we can spay and there are more all the time.

On a personal note, last weekend I made a big batch of beans. I have got so many, it's incredible. For two dollars you can eat for weeks! It's an experiment, I think next time I might just make half a bag and then wait a few weeks for the other half but beans are a super food. I've actually been making Gallo Pinto lately and liking it! I'm turning tica. Sadly, Deivin doesn't like beans and is not so into the change. You can't win them all I guess.

No comments: