Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Update on me

Laura Update...

Many people know that over Christmas I got engaged to my boyfriend Deivin. Here's the low down on the day...

After spending Christmas eve day in Guadalupe with Mandy, Danny and Deivin and his family we made our way back to La Palma. It was late (8:00pm) and Mandy and Danny were done for the day. I knew that Deivin really wanted to do our gift exchange at the beach. I've been trying to get him to go to the beach at night with me for months, so I was up for it. The moon was almost full so there was lots of light and it was a beautiful night. So, we jumped on our bikes and headed to the beach, to the place were we had our very first date. It was so perfect, the moon was huge over the gulf, he lit a candle and there was no one anywhere. So, I gave him his present, a pair of shoes. He liked it, but I had a feeling that his present for me was going to be waaaay better. So, he hands me a little handmade wooden box. When I opened it up there was my engagement ring and he asked me to marry him. It was a beautiful night with a perfect ending. We stayed there for a while and then we rode back to La Palma. We have been working on the fiancee visa for a while now and just this week I got word that it was being processes and had been moved from one facility to another. Originally we had hoped to leave at the end of May for the U.S. But due to some unforeseen complications we have changed that plan for the end of July. What are two more months anyway? I'm working to extend my Peace Corps service for those 2 months. While doing the clinics this past week I got some new ideas for projects that will need funding and you can only get funding if you have a certain amount of time left. With the added two months it should be enough. I want to see if we can get a playground for the school in Guadalupe. At the moment they only have 8 car tires that are half buried. Not cool. I'm hoping to get a playground and maybe even a basketball hoop. They already have a flat slab of concrete in the school yard, why no get a hoop and some basketballs and the kids can shoot hoops...

That's it for me. Deivin and I are happy and excited to see what the future brings.

2 comments:

Ajka C said...

Congratulations to you both - I am very happy for you! It sounds super romantic. I hope you guys will come see us in California once you settle. At this point I don't think we will make it to CR. Or we can meet skiing in CO next winter!

I don't think I can send an attachment here, but I will send you a picture of what my childhood playground used to look like - 8 car tires will then sound fantastic :) Or at least safe, haha!

SDorsey said...

Laura - Finally catching up on blogs after holidays and January travel. Congrats to you and Deivin! I look forward to meeting him sometime soon and no problems for you to extend your service two months or more. Take care! - Steve