Sunday, April 26, 2009

English Class

For the last 2 weeks on Tuesday I have been giving english classes and for the most part they are going well. For the first english class I had the students (I think there were six) choose a song and we listened to it and translated it and talked about what the song meant. Much to my dismay they were in love with the Katy Perry song Hot and Cold. This song is horrible, or maybe not horrible, but at least it`s way over played and when I was leaving the states I was not sad to leave that song behind. But anyway, we listened to the song about 10 times and we all learned a lot. I hope. It´s good practice since they will be able to learn all of the words and will be able to recognize them when they hear them. In Costa Rica there is a pretty big problem with the students being able to read and write english, but not able to understand or speak it at all. I plan to focus on these two aspects in my classes in the future. For my second class I had my student learn a section of a Friends episode. He had a lot of fun.

Okay, I have some news, I have a new host family and I´m really enjoying my new family. I really really love my new host mom and feel really good about my new family.

More news: For the next week I´ll be in Guanacaste doing technical training. I´ll try and blog throughout the week, I´ve already got some really funny stories, but I´ll share them later....

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Yay! Laura, I'm so thankful that your living situation has improved! God is good! We'll keep praying and keeping you 'covered'. Love, Sharon

Ajka C said...

I HATE that song, I think she can't sing at all in the first place and the song is just horrible...but I agree it is a great way to learn the language, it definitely worked for me! It is also a great way to pick phrases and slang you would never understand otherwise. Love the Friends idea too!

I am glad to hear you're doing well! The weather in CO is so crappy I find it actually hard to believe...I am booking our honeymoon to Tahiti tomorrow and I am extremely nervous about spending all the money, haha! But I will be psyched once it's sealed...

Keep the updates coming,

Andrea