Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I'm getting there

For the past 5 days I've been staying with my host family in Acosta regaining some strength and doing a basic re-group. I was originally staying in a hotel in San Jose, but this was just not a good idea. I was having some side effects from the pain medication and realized that I was not going to really get better in a hotel. My host mom is Acosta is soooo great, she has been such a blessing and has taken awesome care of me. She cooks everything from scratch and she cooks over a wood burning stove, I never thought I would like rice and beans, but I love her rice and beans. There is something to be said for taking your time and really cooking your food, it just tastes better.

Yesterday I went back to the eye doctor, I had felt for the past 3 days that there was something in my left eye (the problem eye) and was convinced that there was something wrong with it. After looking at my eye and doing a through examine the eye doctor told me that he did not think that I had anything in my eye, but that he thought I should go and talk to the neurologist and that I was experiencing Postherpetic Neuralgia. Basically shingle effects the nerve where it surfaces, in my case the nerve on the left side of my face. If the nerve is like a whole banana, after shingles it's like the banana has been peeled and is sending all kinds of messages to the brain, so even thought the shingle are gone you still feel pain and can feel it for a long time depending on how damaged the nerve is and how quickly it heals. So, when I went to the neurologist I told him that I had started to take my pain medication once a day at night instead of twice and day, this was my problem. Apparently, I need to take it twice a day and I need to take it twice a day for a really long time. I wanted so badly for this to be over and to just be better, but that's not how it works. Potentially this could last anywhere from a few weeks to 9 months, it all depends on many factors. Now that I know, I will be taking my medication as prescribed, opps.

For those of you who pray, I would really appreciate a lot of prayer for healing. I really don't want to have to take this medication for the next 3 months and sooooo believe in the healing power of God, so please pray with me for healing!!!!!

I'll be heading back to La Palma on Thursday, I'm excited to get back and find my normal, I hadn't been there long enough to have a normal, but I hope to get one soon! The past 2 weeks have been difficult, but there have been a lot of good things that have come from it, for example, I've been able to talk daily or twice daily with my parents. I've been able to talk to my brother and sister in law a bunch and see my little nephew via skype and hear him say his new words and jump and play. I've been able to talk a ton with John. I've been able to watch some american tv (it's awesome!) and I've been able to spend time in Acosta, I love Acosta.

No comments: