Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Okay here is a brief description of my Peace Corps life so far.

I wake up anywhere from 6:30 to 8:00, I prefer 8:00. Usually my host family is doing something outside of my window and there is a rooster always crowing. I usually lay in bed for a while hoping that it's going to rain a lot today because that means I'm a little more justified for not doing anything. I can't do XY or Z, it's raining too much. Okay, so then I get up and get dressed in my "house shorts" which are my soccer shorts and I go and have my breakfast. Guess what it is? Do you give up? It's Gallo Pinto, or rice and beans. But, I actually kind of like the Gallo Pinto and I usually have a fried egg that I get to make so it's cool. So I eat my breakfast and drink my coffee and chat with my host family and usually chat with my host mom and my firend Carla while we watch "Buen Dia" the Tico version of good morning America. I don't really get this program, they have all of these how too's and cooking guides and decorate your home clips. I wonder if I'm living in the same country that they are. They talk about expensive vacations and hiring personal decorators for your home. I have yet to meet a Tico that could/would do any of this. It's just so US and not Tico, yet, it's really the only channel that people get so they watch it.

After all of that I move out to the front porch and rock in either the hammock or a rocking chair and read for a couple of hours. On certain days I go and visit the ladies in the vivero or I do laundry. Lots of people stop by the house and pretty much every day I have this conversation atleast once:

Person: Hola
Me: Hola
Person directed to someone in my host family: Who is this, where is she from?
Me: Hi, my name is Laura, I'm from Colorado, the US.
Person to my host family: The US, how long is she here for?
Me: I'm here for 2 years.
Person: Do you dance?
Me: (This question for some reason happens no matter who I meet and for some reason it really pisses me off) (In my mind I think, why do you care, out loud I say:) yes, I dance.
Person directed to my host family: Oh, how great she said she dances.

At this point with the dancing question if it's a male I say no and then they repeat "no, you don't dance, well, we can go out and sing and play music then" I then respond with "No, I don't dance, sing or play any musical instruments". I don't always say that, but it has happened. I've learned the hard way that with men here if you try and be nice and say things like "Oh, maybe someday" then they start to stop by and act creepy. Now I just think it's better to say no right from the start.

Okay, so my day is a lot of reading and now I've decided to start drawing which has been a fun way to pass the time. I usually head to the store at some point, talk to some people around town, go on a run to the beach each day and hang out there for a while, then I watch my soap opera which is super bad, but it helps me learn Spanish and it gives me something to do at 5:30. For lunch I have rice and beans and something fried, for dinner I have rice and beans and something fried. Pretty much I each rice and black beans everyday. I can take it for breakfast, but sometimes I go on strike for lunch or dinner and eat ceral or yogurt or both.

I expect things will pick up as I get to know more people. Right now due the the swine flu all classes and indoor meetings have been canceled in CR so once that stops I will resume with classes. Okay, I hope you all enjoyed a little glimps into the day of Laura.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trinkle, good to know the men of CR aren't that different from Vail. :)