Sunday, September 6, 2009

YAY FRIENDS!







IST (in service training) ended up great. It was so nice to see all of my fellow Tico 19ers (that's the name of volunteer group). Everyone had great stories and so much had happened to each of us, 3 months on our own in el campo (the country) and a lot of crazy things went down.

Since we weren't ready to go back to our sites and say goodbye to our last chance at friendship, 3 other volunteers and myself took off for Uvita for the weekend. There was a whale festival going on and I must say, the town of Uvita did a great job. There were half price whale watching tour, exhibits, photo displays and lots of people selling lots of souvenirs.

On Saturday we left our hotel in San Jose at 4:30am. It was a struggle and I hate waking up early, but the whales were calling to me so I made it happen. Some 6 hours later we arrived in Uvita. It's actually very similar climate and vegetation wise to La Palma only there are waves to play in. After dropping our things at the hotel we headed to the beach to meet some new friends. We were so lucky to be able to go out in the afternoon at 3:30 because our trip included seeing lots of humpback whales multiple times and a beautiful sun set. There was a mom and a baby whale that were hanging out near us and we got to see the two of them various times. It was so beautiful! Here are some pics of our new friends as well as Uvita and my friends.
On the boat looking at some whales, Mick looking intense.

Becca and I







No comments: