Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Back in La Palma. Again.

I would like to be able to say that after my week in SJ/Acosta I was ready to get to back in the swing of things in La Palma. Well, I'm back, but for some reason it's always difficult to come back. I think I miss being around people and when I'm in La Palma for a long time I forget that I miss it, but when I leave and am surrounded by friends it makes the feeling of being alone all the stronger. Anyway, I'm working on it.
We had our first Guias y Scouts meeting last Thursday and things went great. Now we are forming la junta or the board of directors and then we will begin the process of training the adults. I'm trying to do a good job of making sure everyone knows that we are running a marathon, not a sprint, so the process needs to be slow and steady so we can build a strong foundation. I'm excited to see where this goes. This program has the potential to really benefit the community. Regarding other project ideas... Well, the computers are on hold at least until February. I'm waiting to see if the internet really does make it here in December like we have been told. If that's the case, I'd like to encourage an entrepreneur to open an internet cafe, it's really the most sustainable form. When a community hads donated computers they are hard to maintain because there is no way to charge for the use, therefore you cannot pay someone to be there and keep the center open. You can see the problem. English classes are still going, I'm going to continue on with just one in the coming year. I think it will be better to teach one class well, rather than two classes mas o menos (more or less). Asi es (that's how it is). I'm heading to San Jose on Wednesday (or Acosta more exactly) and then to Escazu, then San Jose for the weekend. I'm going to spend Thanksgiving with an embassy family and Becca my Peace Corps friend and then I'm going to hang out with Mellany a former roommate from my first season at Beaver Creek.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura

Was cool to meet you on the bus and have someone to while away the time with (esp. waiting for the bridge and the trucks squeezing by). Obviously, I´ve found your blog, and look forward to seeing how you are going from time to time. Good luck with the scouts and your other project ideas. I´ll send you an email about my Corcovado adventure!

Anna