Monday, June 23, 2008

The origins of "It's official"

The phrase "it's official" has a special meaning to me and because of this special meaning I use it a lot and think it's always really funny. I realize that 99% of the time, I'm the only one in on the joke. There are maybe 12 people who would chuckle at "It's official" and none of them live near me. This is also a cautionary tale...

So at the ripe old age of 18 I found myself in Billings, MT (the best place ever) preparing to enter soccer preseason as a Yellow Jacket. As a freshman on the team I thought to myself, don't say anything, these people are old (by old I mean 20) and they will eat you alive, don't say anything. I kept myself in check for the first couple of weeks knowing that I was in way over my head. I tried to only speak to the upper class girls when spoken to, it was my only defense. One of my fellow freshmen did not seem to share the same caution.

Before and after each practice we had to visit the training room for "treatment". If you were not hurt, treatment consisted of standing in the ice bath for 20 min. which actually helps with recovery and feels really good. There were two trainers, Pat and Todd. Pat was probably 26 at the time and was our first real exposure to men in that age group. Pat worked out a lot and was pretty ripped, not a bad looking guy, kind of a goober, but a very nice guy. I think most of us were thinking it, but only one came out to say it and it went down in MSU-B history. A very young KB approached the entire team and announces to us all "It's official, Pat the trainer is hot!" All of the older girls just cracked up. We all laughed uncontrollably and KB realized right away that she has said something she shouldn't have. It's 8 years later and KB still hasn't lived it down and every time we bring it up she denies ever having said it, but seriously, there were way too many witnesses. She knows what she said, but as time went on Pat had become an older brother to us all and the thought that she had said he was hot was just too weird.

The moral of the story: Never announce to the world that someone is hot until you know them
and the people you're with a little better. You just may end up the butt of a never ending joke.

I think this is still one of those inside jokes that even when you retell it you have to say, I guess you had to be there... I'm pretty short on sleep, sorry if you thought that was a sucky story, hopefully the next will be better.

No comments: